Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chapter 43

Krystal

I withdrew my mind, too tired even to stand, much less support a mental connection. No wonder they charge extra for long-distance calls I thought tiredly.

Next thing I knew, I was facing the sky. A burning, harsh pain settled in on my right arm. I couldn’t move it.

I looked over as Wynn shouted something. An arrow stuck out of my arm, hot blood leaking from the hole.

It was like I turned into a different person. I leaped up and sent a stream of fire in the general direction the arrow was shot from.

What happened there? It was supposed to be electricity, not fire. Kind of like lightning. Not the time to think about that.

To my dismay, the enemy arrows didn’t stop. Instead, they caught fire and continued heading towards us.

I ducked and rolled, snapping the arrowhead off into my arm. I didn’t notice the pain. It could wait. The volley of burning projectiles flew harmlessly overhead.

Wynn dropped next to me, crouched on the ground, barely visible. I instinctively reestablished our mind connection.

You’re hurt, he said when he felt my presence.

No way, really? Believe me, I noticed.

Left!

I dodged a rock that had come hurtling at me. It struck in the ground, right where my head had been.

Go! Wynn ordered. I knew he meant for me to hide in the near foliage. I thought about disobeying. Leaving him to fight our enemies didn’t sit well with me. Then again, he obviously knew how to handle himself. In the few moments that I hesitated, he’d dropped seven or eight men with his bow and arrows.

I ran for cover, and turned around just in time to see Wynn just…disappear. The attackers (they looked like soldiers) stopped, bewildered, and began hunting for Wynn and I.

Some of the arrows hadn’t burned out; there were sparks still there, barely alive. I looked at them, wishing that I could manipulate Fire. That would make an easy getaway.

The minute I imagined the whole platoon of soldiers going up in smoke, it happened.

I’m dead serious. The sparks left in the smoldering arrows suddenly grew into fire. Huge, leaping, crackling flames ate up the platoon in only a few seconds.

Wynn looked at me, his eyes wide. I think that for him, that’s the same as saying “OH MY FREAKING GOSH! WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!” But he’s a little more mellow.

Did you do that? He finally asked, breaking the silence.

I think so.

Good job, he said simply.

I don’t think I’m supposed to be able to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Was it crap? Did it make sense? Was it interesting? Throw your rotten tomatoes and/or flowers here: